Thursday, June 25, 2009

A new Bible.....lost in Cyberland?

Sometimes ideas flit around my head like a wayward butterfly, do you know the feeling? You toy with the thought, hmmmmm, this sounds like something to work on, or write about, and then it is gone, just as fast. Luckily, sometimes that idea will flirt with you again and this time you just might 'catch' it. I once had the idea of writing a book, entitled "All the books I wanted to write, but didn't get around to it". Each page would just have the title of a book on it.....a book that never got written. Have you had that experience too? That...oh, that would be a great book!....maybe the difference between published authors and those who are 'wanna' be's, is just that the published ones actually 'do' something about it. When I walk through Barnes and Noble stores I am actually flabbergasted at all the books and all the titles, and sure nuff, I will most likely find a book already written on the subject, so that is a relief! Pressure is off, I don't have to write that new great novel, of course no Pulitzers for me, but that is ok, fine...be that way!
Ok, ok, to the subject at hand. I have observed at times and almost lamented that 'we', so many of us who use computers, don't actually sit down and write letters anymore. It is even hard for me to send a card to anyone. I think about it, but somehow it doesn't get done. The Bible, at least the new testament was comprised of letters to churches or groups by the Apostles, etc. Who wrote down Buddha's teachings, or Mohammeds? I don't think they did, so someone had to have the education to be a scribe, or a recorder. Someone down the line had to translate and recopy, or print these records which have become 'doctrine' for religious groups.
Ah, long lost love letters, letters from the grave itself, letters with beautiful scripted writing, letters from parents, grandparents, family and friends, saved in treasure boxes........now are computerized, cold alphabets, copied and pasted notes, fowarded messages and photos, music meant to touch others.
But do they? are those kept forever in a little folder on your desktop, or in outlook express, and if the computer crashes, gone....all gone, those protestations of love, of feelings, of daily happenings, gone. Did they matter to us at all anyway? We had a moment of laughter, a moment of being touched that someone thought about us, but not a treasure to put in a box. Not personal writings on scaps of paper, or lovely stationary to feel the energy put into it, smell the scent, touch the writings, remembering the person over and over.
I still have in precious envelopes put away, letters from my grandfather when I was born, letters from my father to me and to my mother. A special note from an admirer whom I never got to meet, nor found out who it was. Cards from the children, drawings are little treasures that nothing in the world can take the place of. I wonder, in our disposable world today, if anyone is saving these treasures for the future or tossing them away? Do you find yourself searching for 'font's that look like some really wrote it in person? How about colorful, glitzy or cutsey fonts? We can have anything we want these days, quickly!
I find myself wondering if there hasn't been also great works of philosophy, new 'Bibles' from great messengers, who could also have been guided by the Creator, now dumped into the virtual garbage can on the desktop.
I go through my old letters and cards occasionally...unorganized am I though, they are not all in one place. I used to have them all together, but like my life, things scattered to the wind, like our culture perhaps. I even tear out pages in my journals, posting irregularly, years between postings sometimes. I look at parts and really don't want the world to know this or that, or for anyone to ever get upset or hurt by my own reactions in certain moments. We are taught, if you are upset, write it down, which is well and good, but if it is something you look back at and know that it was perhaps unwarranted, or silly, or just petty emotional reactions, well then perhaps the burn barrel is a good place after all. Now some people want the world to know their anger, their hurt, their rantings to make a point; that too is valid and possibly helpful for future understanding of how their mind worked (which could make us shiver!).
This brings to mind for me, the young couples I see today, the clothes they wear, the attitudes, their culture, and wonder if any of them write love letters, are any of them recording their thoughts, feelings, desires for the future down on paper, or are they all dashed off in a quick e.mail to be read quickly and then deleted? How many old e.mails do you go back and read over and over, or are you onto the next 500 waiting in your inbox to read?
I think I will stop and go write a real letter, in real ink, on real paper and put a real stamp on it and actually mail it. Who knows, maybe someday someone will treasure my little note and that I actually took the time to do that.
I also made a new life's resolution to actually 'do' things with my friends, go places, have meals together and started doing that. Things happen along the way to our plans, they are put off a bit at times, but gradually it is coming together, that 'real bonding', face to face, interacting in 'real time' in 'real places'.....well as real as anything is on this crazy planet.....:-). I have a few friends with whom we actually e.mail back and forth, but also we talk on the phone, and we use the net to make arrangements to meet, to bond, to be 'real', and that is very cool, a good use of this remarkable technology, which like anything, can be used or abused for good or ill, depending upon our own character, or intentions.

Over and out for the day bippy.....

Happy writing

No comments:

Post a Comment